Sunday, June 11, 2017

Miscommunication In Filmmaking

Why do I even help people make movies?
I have no idea anymore.
At first, it was to show people the joy. Now it's to deal with the stress.
Been living with this one project for close to a year now. A lot has changed. Most notably the editor had quit. I took over those duties. For no other reason then I wanted the thing done.

Yesterday, I learned there was to be a presentation of this project to the higher ups to show the project is complete. Except, a week before I had asked for graded complete file (to which the colorist had been too busy to deal with), a music track to sync up end credits, and final mix with extra music layering.

Got none of that. See, the director's impression was that I would just drop in the audio and that would be that. A few things sort of derailed this from happening.
I am NOT an editor. I do this simply to help out. I would have gladly handed this out to...anyone else who had similar limited experience.
It is NOT my project to drag up a hill.

The second thing bothers me more than the first. Apathy creeps into all facets of filmmaking. You lose interest in things you were so gung-ho about. You get suicidal when you watch the first edit. Bah. It's awful. So either the director was sedated or she just didn't care anymore. This trickles down to us as well. The minions who do their best to fix things.

I've contributed a lot to this project already. Countless unasked for hours. For what? SO that someone else would not drive off a fucking cliff. I won't do this anymore if it means a cycle of unnecessary panic. I'm not old and too experienced to deal with this. And honestly, as a friend, maybe I shouldn't even burden myself since it means having these meltdowns with the person. It all leads to anger and miscommunication. A thing where if I brought up what I've said repeatedly it can only be taken as harsh criticism. As I was a admitted fan...there are people who will find ways to prove you wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment