Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Back To Writing

I know...I know...I'm bitter, angry, explosive tantrum, abusive...loud mouth'd jerk.
I'm a short guy, cut me some slack. All short guys act like that. Especially drunk.
Anyway, I've been pounding out a new script. I mean...going at breakneck speed so I can not think about the logistics. Writing is absolutely painful for a lot of people. My friend Bennie does it to exorcise his relationship demons. I do, in a different way. For me, it's to distract myself from the demons. The topic I'm writing about doesn't really have to do with my life but something to entertain me as the feeling of dread washes over. Bennie also once told me...which I think is amazing, that when people tell you to write what you know...it's not that it should be literal. Write what you know but put the story in an unfamiliar territory. For him, having a crushing breakup with a girl meant...having a story about lost love told in the story of bloody Chinese melodramatic crime films.

It's so obvious, it never even occurred to me.

To me, personal stories are nice. Like "Nick's Van." It is essentially the thing Bennie told me. Which is, a personal story about a box I couldn't open from my ex-girlfriend told from the point of a view of a guy who lives in a van. Chances are, the more questions you ask, the more others will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment