Thursday, June 22, 2017

Do People Change?

Truth?
No, they don't.
They maybe mellow out a little but we're all pretty much products of what happened to us as close to birth as possible. I mean, you can change if, say, you get an anvil to the head. But the core person you are has already been pre-determined.
I've always had high energy motivated and ambitious. The only that changed, was that my body is growing tired. Or my brain is a bit mushier. But I haven't changed at the core.

Which is why I don't believe in rehabilitation. Well, sort of. I think it begins with what YOU are able to do. For instance...if I go to a therapist, most won't care unless I meet them halfway. Which means I have to actually want to change. A little. Nothing you change is drastic. And unfortunately bits of the bad person you were before rears its head under stress. Sorry, that's the truth.
My Dad has always been a pragmatic person. He moves through life with a lax attitude and definitely forms opinions of the world based on what he's read or heard. He wasn't academically educated rather street educated. His brain is fascinating. He also wasn't around much when I was growing up. So it was weird when we'd spend just our Monday's together. The only day he had off.
Quietly we'd watch movies at the theater. He'd let me pick the ones, since he didn't know. Most of the time he didn't understand them. A lot of the times, I made it a point to pick ones he'd understand. Less talkin' more shootin'. I miss those days like you wouldn't believe. Since I'm here in L.A. and he's in Ohio. I miss what it represented which was time.

My Dad is still the same person. Quietly cultivating a garden or helping his friends out, while philosophically walking through life. No bitterness, regrets or A Buddhist's life is pretty nice. Sometimes...you just don't want people to change all that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment