Friday, May 5, 2017

Writer's Strike Movie To Watch

Thank God the strike was averted. Writer's deserve everything. Intellectual property. Everyone thinks ideas and writing is easy. Even people who work in the business. There are a millions of terrible ideas before a good one comes along. If I fund my own movies, I can implement all my shitty ideas. Why not?

I just watched a talking-head documentary about screenwriters called "Tales From The Script."

What it basically boils down to is this...NO ONE gives a flying shit what you did and who you are. Ever.

I've logged in countless hours on set. Directed a few things, wrote a few things, been involved in a lot of projects. Guess what? The newbie in town has as much of a valid opinion as I do. NO ONE...gives a flying fuck. Why? I couldn't tell you. Other than, they most likely see me as a cautionary tale. Okay, cool. Don't listen to the guy. If that's the case. Most likely, everyone has their way of doing things and can chalk it up to different strokes for different folks. That's fine. But there are still some common sense. I value and trust a lot of people's opinions. At the same time though, I also discount a lot of good ideas. Since I'm not successful in it, I naturally assume people don't take what I have to say seriously. I thought it was just me. Nope. Frank Darabont...yes the man who wrote AND directed "The Shawshank Redemption" STILL has to validate himself. That is fucking retarded. AND, painful, because then...what are we working towards? IF experience and effort and history don't give you a platform to being the center of the advice universe...why even bother? I really don't know at this point, other than...head down and keep making movies your way.

It's frustrating because I'm constantly doing battle with people who've never made a damn film and believing their opinion trumps my own. I'm cool with that...NOW go fucking write it and prove it.

Crickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment