Thursday, May 18, 2017

Chris Cornell R.I.P.

I remember seeing Soundgarden at Hara Arena in Dayton, OH. I went with my friend Shayne and it was a blast. It was during the "Superunknown" tour. Which a few months later I was at CRASH films in Los Angeles on the "Black Hole Sun" video which was directed by Gerald Casale of Devo fame. Did I drop enough names?

Cornell's death bums me out. Big time. Because he got me through a very tough relationship. Not that I credit grunge as the basis of a cure for anyone. But, somehow him and Soundgarden really spoke to my anger about a failed relationship. Somehow I knew his hard drinking terrible body odor life may have been my future.

We're going to learn that it was drug related. Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone died of heroin. Kurt Cobain struggled with smack. As did Layne Staley of Alice In Chains. These were the grunge era gods that fell to Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment