Friday, April 28, 2017

Women Can Get Paid Less Than Men

SO the courts say.
Women make, on average 80 cents to every man's dollar. Short men make less than taller men. I won't march. I don't care that much about that stuff, because no one will ever be happy.
"You're saying if someone gave you a million dollars, you wouldn't be happy?!"
"No, asshat. I wouldn't. Because it just means I can make a more expensive movie."
Money to me, is a means to make others happy (which I'm sure I learned from my Dad). It's not that money isn't a good thing. In this case with women wanting to be paid like men...it comes with a lot more responsibility. IF they become the breadwinner...things get dicey. Resentment. Unhappiness.

Sisterhood isn't about pushing to get women to be paid more. Jennifer Lawrence's contract wasn't batted around JUST by men. Women were complicit in making sure she got less than Chris Pratt who opened "Jurassic World." Though Jennifer Lawrence didn't have a movie that earned less than $100 million in over five years. I say she earned it. BUT, that's not for me to say. If equality is the case...which it really never is.

There is no money that is ever going to pay for the happiness of anyone. I'm not saying that to be glib. It's appreciation. I appreciate women for being who they are. And being strong people. Seriously. I was raised next to two VERY determined women who have never really expressed an emotional breakdown. Meanwhile, American women are constantly battling it out for dumb stuff. NOT to say, they don't have their own crazy meter, BUT in the bigger picture, money isn't going to solve problems that are rooted in being underappreciated.

And don't be patronizing when you do it too. That's when your kid makes you a stupid clay ashtray and you have to like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment