Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Re-Tread Of Shooting On Film


It took me a long time to gather the words to tell people why I will never shoot digital. It’s not that I’m a “purist” in a cinema sense. Nor do I not embrace new technology. It has made my life more convenient. It is for the simple idea that it is not unique to shoot digital.
Digital is a translation of numbers that form images. It is the matrix before our brains correct abnormalities. Film negative is a place in time.
Not to completely romanticize it, but here goes…
When film is made, it is designed in a laboratory that is temperature sensitive. The sheets are precisely cut, embedded with unique keycode (kode) and ships out. I completely understand cinematographers who thrive on consistency. What I shoot today will look like what I wanted to look like and so forth. This is commerce.
Film is specific to the time and place, and…as most of us post people have learned, even to the way film is processed. To the way it was aged. It is stamped by film production companies
Case in point, I will be shooting negative from 10 years ago. Could or would anyone replicate this look in digital? Probably not. And they couldn’t unless they took a time machine back and bought the film. The film is now linked to you (good or bad). This is artistry.
I think if digital takes over filmmaking, I no longer want to be a part of it. The craft will no longer be worth it. And would storytelling be worth it without craft?

No comments:

Post a Comment