Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Ego Driven Monster

It was refreshing to know...in every capacity undermining people is universal. William Goldman talks about it in his adventures of writing "All The President's Men." Though sometimes it becomes a mess, if you add too many people.

I consistently have this argument with a friend of mine who tends to direct from the sidelines. The issue is...hr believes his ideas are valid. True. And people tend to ask his opinion...sorta' true. Then when not followed he sulks. Bad bad bad. This is a colossal mess when too many opinions prevail. And the director is too weak to defend it.

See, the purpose of making movies is that we express who WE are as well. A strong vision and a spirit will put a cap on that. People who reach out in the dark get varying opinions resulting in a sloppy film. I oftentimes attempt to repair a project like this because I am involved. Sometimes I take too many initiatives. To me...I ask more questions than give answers. Too many fucking people in this town are grossly unqualified to give advice. Yet they still give it. It's gruesome. What happens is, they are also the ones that believe they deserve more.
My only suggestion to anyone is...stay strong and true to your vision. Get excited about what you want to make and stick to that. Insecurity is normal. I get sick thinking about it. And most people live in it. And be prepared to take responsibility if project isn't as good as you invisioned. It's the way these things go, until you put it in front of an audience, you really have no idea.

I've fucked up repeatedly. And always strive to make a great movie. It falls short for a lot of reasons. And I am saddled with reliving my mistakes BUT I made it. And so very proud of making...anything. Many cynics in this town will laugh at that statement. That's fine by me. I have no one to answer to. So keep chugging along. Our only competition is to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment