Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Flakes!

I know, you're probably sick of me saying this over and over and over again.
Los Angeles is full of flakes. I'm one of them.
I only do projects I want to do. I need to get paid real money to give a shit. Kinda.
Here's the rub...people make plans and get busy. Know what most people are busy doing? Getting fucked up over the weekend. Because the week sucked. And if you're a working actor, you're bored. Weekends remind you of college (or whatever high school you had). That means you want to be seen and not work.

Know who succeed in Hollywood? People who say...and then do. The biggest thing in this godforsaken business is showing up. I'm dead serious. Most people IF they showed up WILL succeed. On time. I meant, show up on time and show up. MOST actors are fucking flakes, for...well, I'm can't come up with a reason. Other than they don't believe in the material. They don't like your fucking face. Or, they're lazy. Laziness is the worst excuse. Forgetting is probably worse than that.

Here's what happens. You coordinate a project. Then the talent says they forgot it was THIS weekend. They didn't forget. They put you off like a girl who doesn't like you would. A glam project they would juggle their Mother's will reading to get there. Nope. They think you're a dog. And then...expect you to welcome them with open arms. As if they are doing you a favor.

BIG BIG flag people...DO NOT EVER...EVER EVER EVER have anyone on your set that feels they are doing you a favor. You can feel like they are, but if they cop an attitude because they know...CUT THEM QUICK. It is the worse feeling in the world to have to worry about your movie and the feelings of some person who shows up wanting to be part of something but complaining the whole time. THIS is worse than flakes.

I sometime don't blame flakes though. Hell, I get surges of inspiration and want to leap to work. But then by the end of the week, I just want to watch shitty 80's sitcoms. My biggest fear is that I start to like that life. Because as I get older, it is easier to do nothing. The simple solution is to do what my friend Betsy has eloquently put...NEVER stop moving. You don't have to start if you just keep moving. Right? Common sense. Things stop for the dumbest reasons too. Creative differences, logistical problems, weather, etc...the point is to keep it moving. If people are around that feel they need to criticize...keep moving. Leave them behind. Watch these asshats cling onto your heels talking their shit as you keep moving.
Just don't be a flake, commit to what you say you will do, and do it.
I will do the same. We'll succeed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment