Sunday, April 30, 2017

Where's The Beef?

If you work in something creative long enough, chances are...you will have beef with someone. It's the unfortunate part of subjective industry. Call it professional jealousy, entitlement, inferiority complex, it happens to everyone.

For me, it happens when I see good stuff from people out of the gate. They haven't struggled to get what they get but...they got it quick. It sucks. And you're s liar if it doesn't bother you. My beef wouldn't be with them though...my gripe is with people who think they know better and haven't made it but still give their opinion. Look, beefs have been going on forever...Chaplin and Buster Keston. Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. It goes on and on. Producers, writers, directors...no one is happy if someone else gets the glory. Which is where vindictive people become toxic. I'm in a weird one now where I know the dude is being a massive bitch. He conceals it by...passive aggressive means. It's annoying. Because women do that. Not to say he wouldn't admit the same. It comes over some creative differences I'm not entirely sure why his involvement. Nor am I getting the truth. Because...it's being spineless. I've repeatedly given every opportunity to clear the air to nothing. Can't offer more than that. Resentment, anger...and it doesn't help he's a heavy drinker.

But if I'm speaking of this...perhaps it does bother me. I get nothing from this friendship other than laughs. This town, the relationships are tied so deeply to work. Which this has as well. Finding the exit strategy is the next move and go on from there.

Beef is a painful unnecessary part of the creative field. And it expounds energy to create. Guess it wouldn't matter to people who don't have that outlet. It sure matters to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment