Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Early Years

So...Music...what the fudge?
I remember listening to the Beastie Boys non-stop when I was in high school, undergraduate college and graduate school. Now I can't stand them. Why? I have no idea. Maybe the "music" has always sucked. I remember I confronted a girlfriend in college about whether or not she liked jazz music. She confessed that she didn't. I was a little touched that she tolerated it for my benefit, but she saw no value in it for herself. That's what love does, I guess.

Beastie Boys reminds me of a time and place, and throughout the rest of the decades, it still reminds me of those times and places. In that sense, it is a time capsule. BUT...I suppose if I wanted to re-visit the time and place, it will always be there. Some think it's because we evolve and we move on to other music. That's true too. I still watch Britney Spears videos because it reminds me of my first job in "The Industry." I was an office production assistant the same time she was JUST taking off ("Sometimes" video played around the clock at our office. And some Backstreet Boys video). Fortunately at that time, we were only on the third floor in an office on Beverly Boulevard, and probably would hit a Hassidic Jew had I jumped. Anyway, it also reminded me that most of the film stock for my thesis project came from A Band Apart. I recall a refrigerator full of short ends of 200 ft. which is about 1 minute 40 seconds of footage in 4 perf 35mm time. They let me have about 10,000 ft. built from different shoots. Man, were they kind to me. They could've used it for other things, like insert shots or whatever. And I was just an intern.

What a resource.

So I do count myself lucky in this business. But I would add, ASK! Seriously, most people are afraid to just ask. You'd be surprise what people will do for you if you show any level of initiative. I am constantly surprise now that I know I am on the other end of this exchange now. I get emails and messages from really earnest filmmakers. And I want to help them all. Passion and excitement is contagious. Let it be contagious to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment