Friday, April 28, 2017

Steve Harvey On Asian Men

From a January story..
Talk show host Steve Harvey made a joke about a book in 2002 titled How to Date a White Woman: A Practical Guide for Asian Men.
 
Explaining that the book should only have a single page asking white women, "Excuse me, do you like Asian men?," the host followed up with his own answer: "No. Thank you."

The book was far more racist than the joke. Because...women are women. And this book is simply targeting a preference from a very sad place of Asian males desperately seeking approval and love with finding a white woman.

To be fair, I've only gone out with white women. It was the only option living in Ohio...really. And in the process, I've not only asked them out, they've asked me out too. I like being around very comfortable women. And I also like being comfortable around women. The only times I've been shot down REALLY terribly...well...they make great stories.

In terms of Steve Harvey's joke...I'm not all that offended by it. There is a truth and mean-ness to it that is going to draw out defenders. In a way, you read what women do say. A few defended the case "I've ALWAYS had crushes on Asian men" and then list Asian celebrity males.

If you need to prove this point, there are...uh...ZERO Asian leading men. Most have aged out of relevancy (Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Chow Yun-Fat). And this isn't the focus of Hollywood right now. Nope. In fact, Jessica Chastain was the first to bring this fact up. That there is a very, practically non-existent Asian contingent in movies. Which I applaud her for being so aware. This could be why we don't identify "good looking, attractive" Asians in pop culture.

Why Steve Harvey felt it necessary to make this joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment