Monday, November 6, 2017

The Weight Of Post Production

I've got a box with film in it that cost roughly what a lot of people spend as a mortgage payment or rent.
That's an odd statement considering it's just...entertainment. True. It is. But it's also world building.
When I was in film school the thought of things costing...money never occurred to a lot of us. We threw money at making movies assuming we'd be rewarded with accolades in the end. The truth, as a young person, you can spend tens of thousands (as I actually saw in film school) to $50 and without the drive and some talent, it gets you nowhere. And it's tough.
When I picked up my film today, I had a massive flashback to my film school days. Fotokem is still where it was when I was in film school. Going to this film laboratory has changed. Though I am almost 20 years older from those days, I still get this overwhelming anxiety that everything I did may or may not translate. But I don't know until it's all pieced together. In film school, this gave me an opportunity to be experimental. These days it's really really hard to gamble. Every project needs to have the pieces in place. Which is why I see a lot of friends re-define the importance of storytelling.

All the effort, stress, sleepless nights and coordination all in one box. It may not seem like much but it all the record we have that we actually made something. And maybe that's enough. We don't need prizes or money (maybe a little, so we can make more projects). We need to be reminded that our existence meant something. Films make us...live on. To crack the code of film history and etch ourselves into the cave paintings is, I think, the ultimate goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment