Friday, November 24, 2017

Pay Your Actors

If you are a no-budget production, I implore you to scrape what you can to pay your actors. However much it is.
Personally, I wish I could provide more. I know many people who make movies that MAY feel awkward giving anything they have to the actors. I was very self-conscious about giving what I can because it feels like the equivalent of tipping a penny on a dinner check. It seems insulting. But it is TRULY appreciation to whatever I can offer. It's great to hear from my actors how appreciative they are as well. I had no idea. So, I intend to pay who I can when I can.

I think this attitude of not compensating actors in film school. They still train most to believe that it is a mutual agreement in terms of an exchange. They get reel material and you get actors. I learned last night from a bartender who does acting that even he doesn't get material for his reel. That's HORRIBLE. The very least we learned in film school was NO MATTER WHAT GIVE ACTORS REEL MATERIAL. I use to give them the dailies so they can cut their favorite takes. Some directors/producers are viciously against this because whatever is "out there" reflects on them. I trust who I work with. And, frankly, my reputation isn't going to be ruin on poor performance. It is more in THEIR best interest to choose their best performance. So after you graduate, your attitude carries over. I found flakes like this often. Even when I tell everyone that I do film scan favors for..."hey, give me some stills when you're done so I can promote film." Crickets. This is particularly insulting since...I did a favor.
And that's how you should see actors on the small scale. I know most in this business are brain-dead narcissists. But you OWE it to your actors to show that they are important to your project. I mean, I have the WORST attitude towards actors, yet I stress you showing your appreciation whole-heartedly.
I mean, why wouldn't you want to launch your career in filmmaking with a positive reputation. You may be a complete clown, but you know how the business side should be run.

No comments:

Post a Comment