Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Lindsay

It's probably really easy for a lot of you guys out there that grew up being either Black or White. This is a definitive identifier. NOT being Black or White is easy either way, but better than being the in-between. The in-between such as Asian or Mexican are usually the scapegoat. Still the minority.

Lindsay was pretty freckly strawberry blonde girl I met in elementary school. And NOT that all white people look the same, but I kept mistaking her for a girl that looked who I thought looked like her. If she were in casting, she would be "typical suburban pretty girl"

Lindsay had a great smile. Even as we re-connected on social media, she STILL has that same bright warm smile I recall. Her presence drew a TON of people to her and it wasn't hard to grow a deep crush on her. What made it more endearing, was that she was sweet as well. She hung out with "the cool kids." NOT because she excluded others, but because the pretty girls desperately wanted Lindsay in their group. She is THAT pleasant. And I can't imagine her being any different. She has the same high school girl friends now. I know them too. But two of them sorta' treated me like the brown kid in lily white school. Well, being ignored is still being treated poorly. I think. I guess, it turns out you will be ignored plenty of times as a grown up too.

We're much older, heavier and bloated now. When we graduated, Lindsay ended up marrying (what I heard) another high school friend, Greg. Greg played on my little league baseball team. He didn't deserve her. Which got me thinking how she must have really seen herself. The guy's claim to fame was to be permanently banned from Paul Brown Stadium for jumping onto the field and stealing the football from Brett Favre during when the Bengals played the Packers.
Yep, that's him in the orange shirt.
What really stands out about Lindsay, all these years? She still has that youthful smile. I see it with her children. And her family. I remember so little time spent with her, except, she showed nothing but kindness throughout our years. It meant a lot for an immigrant kid.
A little kindness is always remembered throughout your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment