Sunday, November 26, 2017

High School Reunion

My sister went to her 26th high school reunion.
I'm not entirely sure what the logic in that is. To re-live glory days of...?
It would be my 25th then. I guess. I can't imagine sharing the hopes and dreams of how I was at 18. Though I had plenty. I mostly did my own thing. And hung with misfits. Up until my senior year where I just hung with everyone.
In my year 1993, it was very simple. No internet, no cell phone and if you wanted to know shit you read a newspaper or asked a neighbor. I notice everyone knows everything now. You know the same information a homeless crazy person does. He probably has a better phone.

Reunions are also fun to see who lost all their hair, aged or got fat. From the photos, that would be everyone. Because that's life. In Hollywood, no one loses any of that until you REALLY get older. Even then. I know some who've maintained their look and refuse to let poverty or laziness get the better of them. Most celebrity stars have the dough to cut and tuck (as you can imagine). I actually like that my classmates let themselves go with nature. It is natural and healthy. And life.
I do go to the gym regularly, though do less weights now, because I am old and my joints and muscle feel EVERY pound lifted. If only to maintain elasticity or mobility. Again, sad when the body doesn't do what the mind wants.

I'm also not sure how I could explain my life. I mean, I set out to make movies. And...I do. But I also work for people who make movies that cost a lot of money. So I'm also a cog in the wheel. I'm doing what I did in high school, with a group of friends who make...stories. Though I'm in a different arena, it still feels the same. The backyard movie to which I gathered our group and just made stuff (back then on VHS or Hi8). I suppose you could say it is an envious position. Most are struggling with purpose, I've known this path since age 8 (when I hopped a bus to the middle of nowhere to pickup a Super8mm film camera).

It is weird to think that the kids you grew up with now look like our parent did back then. Tired and hairy. Many of the girls I went to school with look like years of life got to them (which I can say the same for me). What reason would you go to your reunion?

1 comment:

  1. Did you put a Buca di Beppo ad on this page yourself or did it just pop up?????

    ReplyDelete