Friday, November 10, 2017

Rough Cut

There's a reason why they call it that.
Just kidding.
Everyone is always super excited about dailies. Well, not so much anymore since dailies are...when you shoot digital you already see it. It's lame.
Film dailies are different. The excitement of seeing work pop! Especially if you've ever seen print film dailies. It's amazing. We have trailers at our company with screens inside. A mobile theater. Still not the same. But it makes studios comfortable they can monitor EVERYTHING you do.
I wouldn't even consider today's movie making making anything. It's a machine.
I got the first cut of the next micro-series episode done. I was, once again, surprised at some of the moments I got, and granted it's really uneven...I think I miscalculated at the script stage as to the degree of ups and downs and where it fits in in the bigger picture. But these are all questions you go through when you make edits. Small imperceptible moves of an actor actually can change dynamic. Conversely, you don't want to take a scalpel to your project or it drains the spontaneity as well. Or you get married to the why.
I would say, this is the worst part of editing. The second guessing and the piecing together of performances to make it feel like one continuous moment. Especially if the words you wrote sound like they came off a page.
Keep making more and more. That's all you can do. Though...my hero Billy Wilder would never delineate from the written word, he at least had the skill and talent and ear to know. And he was ruthless about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment