Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Windell Middlebrooks R.I.P.

I met Windell on the film "Afro Ninja." If you see him, you'd know him. An incredibly happy-go-lucky bear of a man who oftentimes lifted the spirits of the set when he was around. He cracked me up. Always great whenever I was his audience. He knew when I laughed behind the camera, he'd recreate a funnier moment.

Windell apparently passed away from alcohol induced heart failure at 36. Doing a little research it occurs to people around 35-50 years of age when they've induced a large amount of booze for a while. Like myself, the symptoms do include dizziness, lack of breath, heart murmurs and so forth. Yes, I could be a hypochondriac, considering my doctor gave me a clean bill of health, but it's still scary stuff. Especially since I haven't accomplished what I set out in life yet.

I doubt Windell knew the damage he was doing to himself either. I had no idea that you could die of heart disease under the age of 50 unless it was like...a heart condition. But more than likely he stayed a party animal to the end. I'm not sure what the warning here is...almost like it was telling me what I needed to hear, in terms of how I have to remain on my path of no booze.

It's amazing, at my age now, people are dying off. And I'm not even old enough to get philosophical about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment