Thursday, March 19, 2015

Asian Equality In The Community

You know, my Mom has a silent contempt for Asian people. Not sure why. Other than she probably believes their behavior is annoying. She doesn't realize that some of her behavior mirrors her own. So in defense of "our people" I'd like to say...
...whenever there is a conversation about race and equality, you hardly hear a peep from the Asian community. Why? I have a theory...

I believe it's because we have integrated ourselves where ever we end up. There is a level of respect to keeping to yourself and NEVER drawing negative attention to yourself. If there is an inequality, rarely (if ever) are there marches to support this. The thing about Asians, that are split into SO many dimensions and include parts of Russia and all of India, is that we don't give a shit about equality. IF I were to lose a job  somewhere, it's not because of my slanty eyes or brown skin. It's because I didn't try hard enough. Guess what? Try harder. If people don't like the way I tend to my home, guess what? I trim the bushes and clean the trash off my lawn.

In America, Whites, Blacks and Hispanics seem to have this...contrarian chip that says "fuck 'em if they don't like it...this is America. I can do whatever the fuck I want and Joe Schmo from next door isn't going to tell me." Well, I don't think I've ever been around an Asian person who takes that stance. It's not worth the hassle. And it keeps you off the radar. The worst thing that could possibly happen is that it escalates to a place you do not want to be.

I think a lot of times is that if someone suggests that you aren't living better in life, that they are superior to you. I take it as more of a opportunity to learn. My Dad didn't have a lawn in Taiwan. When he got his home and yard, he could only look over to Mr. Matson's home and mimic it. Not turn it into a hay and farmhouse like Taiwan. Sure, there are moments, such as hanging clothes to dry (since my Mom was too cheap to use a dryer). But even then it wasn't stretched across the yard so that it was unsightly. Keep a low profile. And you never have to deal with other people's shit.

Maybe...just maybe America needs this discourse. The idea that inequality is a constance struggle. That Blacks, Whites and Hispanics need to constantly refresh our memories about the Constitution. Or why we should value freedom. I think most people keep themselves in chains, when they claim there isn't equality in the world. It's unfair, yes. But it's not unequal. I think we all can do whatever we want. Laziness and convenience is the real culprit. March against that.

No comments:

Post a Comment