Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Hollywood Hates People Who Shill For America


I was just watching “Black Hawk Down” recently. A really engaging hard to watch movie about an attempt to secure a hostile land off in Mogadishu, this cesspool of a pit. I actually got the special edition. So I’ve watch a lot of the extras. Very interesting story about men being sent into a mission and underestimating the resolve of what amounts to primitive cavemen…but with RPGs.
On the box there is a indication that it won two Oscars. One for editing and one for sound. Now…correctly me if I’m wrong but this happens to be about the same awards “American Sniper” walked away with.

What the fuck is wrong with Hollywood that it can’t appreciate a war movie UNLESS it paints American effort as wrongheaded? I give you “Platoon” (1986) Best Picture winner. This was about a boy growing up with a need to fight and learning the brutality of war. The minute the story falls into the idea that we suck as Americans in a war we shouldn’t have been involved in…DING DING, we have a winner. So more recently “The Hurt Locker” won for Best Picture (sticking with war pix). This was truly unfair. In fact, in this case Hollywood should be ashamed. It’s the Most Improved Award. The industry was SO starved for a woman director to win, it overlooked this  so-so pic. I think they were just so blinded by a woman directing a war movie. And it also got into the psyche of a bomb disposal operator…who by the way, is clearly a nutjob. Another victim of war.

It so happens “American Sniper” undid itself with the title. There is no one in this business who doesn’t respect Clint Eastwood. But he doesn’t play by the stupid rules of Hollywood. He doesn’t kowtow to the likes of their message. Which is that war is bad. No shit, guys. Eastwood proudly waves his conservative beliefs whilst living in a liberal world. He doesn't seem to care, nor is he outspoken about certain topics. He lets the media do his talking. Sometimes you uses the media to do his talking (as in his ads about pro-America). What is wrong with being pro-America? Why can't we say America is better than every country anymore?

I think in some odd way, most of Hollywood thinks the military and people who support it are their fathers’ who disapprove of their “artistic” integrity. So they lash out.  Too bad for them. I watched war movies with my Dad. A warm memory, no doubt.

Also, here’s a rub I have with liberals and conservatives. Seems if I think people shouldn’t have kids who can’t afford them, is considered a liberal thought. I honestly never knew. To me, that’s just practical. There are cultures out here that pop out children and struggle to support them. Then the government steps in and has to deal with it. That’s the same government that grabs me by my knees and shakes me down for every little bullshit tax it can. But I’m the bad guy for saying this. Or at least the liberals consider me a piece of shit conservative. NEVERMIND that I don’t give a shit about gay marriage. Anyone can marry whatever, has been my stance. But then conservatives would think me a faggoty liberal. Funny how I can’t just be in the middle. TO be honest, I think more of us are on the middle. But dependent on where you live, you sorta’ keep whatever views you share underwraps. I noticed that guys in post production are white conservatives. They share a lot of their very short sighted views, but with each other. It’s a boy’s club no one mentions. But white folk in post stick with each other. This is a generalization, but whatever. IF it’s true it’s true. I’d be the first to tell you Asian women drivers are THE ABSOLUTE worst.

Anyway, about the war movies…I think this does say a lot about where Hollywood stands, in terms of the war effort. I don’t think we should be sending young folk out there to kill. But it’s (unfortunately) necessary and am proud of them. I couldn’t do it. I see war movies and think what a big pussy I’d be. I think if Hollywood folks had the balls of Eastwood, they’d shower him with Oscar gold, which they have everytime he makes a girl empowerment movie, sorta’ like “Million Dollar Baby.” How quick Hollywood forgets, he made one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment