Monday, March 16, 2015

Gettin' Motivational

Okay, let me get motivational here for a second. Most of this is pretty much speaking to myself.

You know, success is built on time given to the craft you choose. Most people put in JUST enough to get by. But as you're doing that, someone is inevitably putting in more. They're obsessed with it. To a point, if you matched their fervor, you'd be burned out.

Know what? That thing isn't for you.

If you decide to do something, there isn't a mid-way point. It's all or nothing. A person who tells you they are exhausted after 10 hours on something they supposedly love...FUCK YOU, you're dead.

I find myself constantly pushing to get better. My brain moves slow nowadays due to rehab fog. But I know if I'm not putting in my time, I'm no better than the first year kid who comes into town with hopes and dreams. In fact, if that's my competition, I fucked up somewhere. I should already know, that in order to climb that ladder, I have to push past exhaustion. I've been writing everyday now. I don't care if it's good or not. Whether I feel like I should be writing or not. I've got no choice. The minute I feel burned out by it, I write here. Every minute that passes where I haven't moved from one spot to the other, someone else has. They are willing to suffer past where I'm not. I think those who stay in the game know this. I was talking to an old film school friend about this. He's fallen a little through the cracks as he no longer is that interested in production. ONLY that he stays creative. To him, there is a level of re-invention. Instead of the bullshit that comes with putting together a movie, he works with one other person to get a comic book of a feature script he wrote. Is it good? Who cares? He GOT SOMETHING DONE. I think he doesn't realize what an accomplishment just have a feature script written is. Most people talk about ideas until the cows come home. No one has anything written down. It's that fear that brain to type doesn't add up to what you thought. Or you get bored. And you quit. Stephen J. Cannell a writer for most of the evening actioners back in the 80's and 90's once said that he never started a script he didn't finish. Good or bad. He got to the finish line. That stuck in my head, because it's very much like our business to not want to run through a briar patch. When you hit a bump in your brain, it's agonizing trying to dig your way out. What Cannell realized is that, the solution may be stupid as fuck, but it's at least a resolution. That feeling of completion is in every one of us. To leave something at the halfway point...this lingers whether you think about it or not. I've got about three feature scripts in the middle, which I just need to complete. It's aggravating because my thoughts are pulled in so many directions. BUT that's on me. If I'm not stepping up, I'm stepping down.

I have to propel past my own suffering. There is no other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment