Friday, March 20, 2015

All Style, No Substance


An old friend had read a few scripts of mine. He brought up an interesting observation. I write mostly style, very little substance. He compared this type of style to a director like Tony or Ridley Scott. “Thanks” I said, figuring it was a compliment. I don’t think he meant it like that. He said I write mood. A tonal movie and very little story or character development. When you think about movies like that, I think you walk away from them and just say very little.

I started to think about the stories that drive these types of filmmakers. For instance, if I were to break down Tony Scott’s movies, I couldn’t tell you one of them that had character development. I think the closest one was  “The Fan.” I wonder if this didn’t lead to his depression.

Anyway, going through his filmography, I really can’t see a single movie that a lead in the film has depth. Depth like, say an Anthony Minghella movie. I watched “The Talented Mr. Ripley” last night again. Wow, is that movie beautiful. It’s like Italy shown in the most beautiful light. BUT the lifestyle too. That is all nice, but what transcends the subject, is the character of Tom Ripley played pitch perfect by Matt Damon. His characterization of Ripley is of a man who is so desperate to live the lifestyle of the rich and wealthy, he despises his own poverty. He dreams to live the way Dickie Greenleaf (played by Jude Law) lives. A beautiful girl, money and a life of leisure. Then you realize, not everything is truthful with his life as well. This is great filmmaking. No one is one thing at all times. People change. And their behavior will destroy them. Then I examined “Blade Runner.” The original script seemed to have examined Deckard’s inner conflict which you hear in voice over. It’s a cheap gimmick they ditched in the director’s cut. But for the theatrical release, they wanted to make a film noir. This doesn’t require inner monologue’s. And the only reason he becomes conflicted with his hunt for replicants, is that now he has fallen in love with one of them. THEN, to add a twist…it’s implied that he may be a replicant as well. Hardly the same type of behavior that connects us as human. Seems last minute. Which is why they had conflicts during the shoot. They just couldn’t figure out the “human element.”
I recently wrote a quick script to fast track into production. This was due to a film noir atmosphere movie I always wanted to make. I realize that there are just key moments that I would not have time to develop in a short. My friend Sam had pounded out a quick synopsis based on a concept/location. Train station , man sitting on bench, woman with knife runs into him – GO!

He had a great concept. And could be told completely without dialogue.  However, I felt that it lacked a connective film noir element. That the woman gets away with screwing over the guy and leaving him to his demise. He’d written a nice ending. That’s when I added that he was on the run, as was she, and they run into each other at the train station, only to have him get screwed over in his escape by a woman he showed kindness to. Then I realized one thing…logic. Why would these two “accidentally” meet and just happen be her escape route. If he never existed, she’d be stuck.. Fuck me.
So I shuffled the story around to not make it so coincidental, and maybe imply she already has plans to screw him over. This still doesn’t solve my problem of behavior=character=story. But maybe that’s not a bad thing. Maybe just watching a high style movie, people can just walk away and say “man…that sucks.” Worked for early Billy Wilder.

No comments:

Post a Comment