Saturday, March 21, 2015

Or You Could Be Like This...

When I was a kid about 12 or so, I remember my Dad's business partner's son (who was about 3 years old at the time) fall out of their two story home. He landed on his head and was brain damaged for life. Life being that he died at 18. My Dad's partner turned to religion. In fact Christianity to figure out why this happened to him. I never talked to him about it. Even at that age it was really impolite. They never brought it up. Nor did they ever share that tragedy. Was never even told the son had died while I was away at college. Only that they kept him alive for that long. I imagine it to be really burdensome. The face of someone who could've grown to be a bright person and excel at life, cut short, because of one stupid moment where a window was left open.

I don't say this to bum you guys out. I say this because most of our lives we live in so much uncertainty. That uncertainty seems to be of the future. Whether or not you will have enough to eat and a place to live. Our greatest fears, I think, is to be another victim of life. In this case, they weren't given a choice. But, it made people reconsider what was important in life.

To me, it was always following your heart. To do things. It meant a lot of sacrifice, but I think I could say now that a lot of it was worth it. I believe I would've been a bigger disaster had I stayed in Ohio and married my college girlfriend. A lot of resentment. I think, in some sense, I would've been that kid with a head injury, living to die...and not living to live.

This type of emotional trauma to people, I think, should make you re-evaluate what you think is important. A lot of anger, resentment, grudges...SUCH A WASTE OF PRECIOUS TIME AND LIFE. I hope that would be a mantra, if you are this type.

No comments:

Post a Comment