Saturday, March 28, 2015

Weights Vs. Cardio

Now at 40, cardio REALLY sucks. I do a moderate stair climb or a little bit of the elliptical. But generally, I'm with the free weights. It's a balance. Cardio does make my heart feel better. And sweating burns off the salt I pour down my face on daily basis. However, doing weight training burns fat faster. Weights have been stressing my joints lately. And it's not because of poor form, but because...that's being 40. I saw a guy at the gym the other day, about my age. He was yoked. I took the time to watch what he did for a workout. I mean this dude HAD to be a bodybuilder. He did a very light shoulder cable row. I mean 5 lbs. light. Then he went and did three sets on the bench. Again, roughly 1/3 of his weight. Then he left. That's it.

We may be over thinking this. At a certain age, that much muscle isn't practical. I see 50 year olds who are massive, but look like every step is killing them. They are toned on top, mushy at the bottom. Looks like my ol' Li'l League coach. Not the ideal body type.

No comments:

Post a Comment