Friday, March 13, 2015

Muscle Maintaining at 40

Damn, did I get way off topic. I actually changed this blog into vignettes of Los Angeles because, quite honestly, I fucked up in terms of building muscle. Because I'm no longer interested in building muscle at 40 years old. Maybe it should be "Maintaining Cut Status at 40." But to be perfectly frank, I lost the drive and energy to do heavy weights.

See ever since I stopped drinking, my body has turned on me. It functioned with booze for so long, it doesn't know how to process NOT being in recovery. The brain gets light headed and I just don't have the energy or drive to push through like I use to have. On top of that, if I do decide to be slightly physical, I'm sore the next day. Bone density feels weak. My muscle system feels jello-y. Yeah, I'm trying to ride this wave out a little. I snack to keep the energy up. Protein drinks mixed with greens. I've switched to eating olives as well. Pushes back the pangs. I understand why it's so easy to go back onto the sauce. Because I know if I had that one drink now, I'd be back to pushing through during workouts. The mind and body need to coordinate.

This does prove a theory of mine though. That a lot of our body type is very much genetics. I can do heavy weights till the cows come home, but it won't make me bulky like a pro wrestler (even though those dudes have to be juicing). My frame doesn't require that I can handle a Schwarzenegger load. Let me rephrase that. The muscle density of a body builder. Even though Franco Columbu has my same height, he still has width. Let me rephrase that...his shoulders are wider to handle the density of his muscles.

I'm wiry. With the hips of a teenage girl. S'how I was built. But now I'd just like to maintain the small amount of mass I have. Not bad for 40 years old. But one thing is, my brain has to get back to telling my body to out-physical when needed. I need to get my heart back into shape now. Heart good=burn fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment