Monday, October 23, 2017

Weinstein-Gate

I guess, having "-gate" tagged on anything would imply that I was going to write about a conspiracy.
Instead, it's to wax philosophical about how Hollywood is suppose to function now.

A few days ago I talked to a friend who was making a feature film. On the project there was an older man who insisted he cast a young pretty blonde girl. He had no idea why since she was not auditioned, had no experience to speak of, or anything else. Turns out the old dirty fucking guy wanted to get her into pictures for his own selfish reasons.

Time and time again, we have auditioned (and I say "we" since I'm guilty as well) girls we wanted to date. I know, it sounds horrible. But consider we're ugly, short, socially awkward people. In my case, I've never crossed the Weinstein line, but in this case, I would say something much more nefarious was afoot.

The dynamics of this will change now. You can't just get an actress you're banging into one of your movies anymore, just because you are banging her. Which may be where all the talk about women taking leadership roles in the movie business comes from. That means, less casting couch shit...kinda'. I would say, in the film industry, women are somewhat ruthless and cutthroat as men are (remember Amy Pascal?). Shit, Sherry Lansing ran Paramount for near a decade.

I hope it changes in the fact that we will really filter talent the way it was suppose to be. That we get much more character driven faces. Interesting faces are SO much more interesting.  We don't need any more Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise chiseled action heroes. You know? Why not go with real looking people who can act. Or women who are more real looking rather than Jennifer Lawrence in a bad wig?

The world is ours to conquer! (without the sexual assault).

No comments:

Post a Comment