Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The Acting Class

I cast'd a girl from a random reel I saw. Something about her voice. We met and had dinner to which she told me that her acting coach was interested in meeting me. Very interesting.
Turns out the guy runs a acting class. A very cool place. Seemed like a safe space. I was invited on a weekday, thinking it would just be he and I talking about the project that one of his students I wanted. Instead, it was to meet others in his acting class. Yep...this is what a great teacher does. He connects people. What felt like being bamboozled, turns out he just wanted his students to hear what I had to say.
So, I met every one of them. Shook their hands and took their names (the best I could). 13 students all together. Some really young, some older. Most...SO SO hopeful. I saw the look on their face when they realized I'd worked in the industry. My weathered old tired, shants wearing body...and they still wanted to make an impression on me. It's what I think a rock star would feel like. It became a little chaotic when the teacher announced my micro-web series and that I still shot it on film. The intrigue was too much for them. None had worked on film before. It was like a scene from "Mad Max Beyond Thunderome." A group of youngsters surrounding me, waiting for the next word. I'm a skittish type as a public speaker and tend to mumble. So, I drew a breath and laid down science. Film is a magical medium made to support and emboss an actor's craft. Forever.
Yes, this were good words to leave with the students who desperately wanted to be cast'd.
So they left me cards, and I left them my email.
I will be surprised if anyone contacts me. Not because of fear or intimidation, but perhaps I didn't leave quite the impression they all left on me.
What an interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment