Tuesday, October 17, 2017

"George Michael: Freedom"

Call me a fag, I can't wait to see this documentary on October 21 (this Saturday).
I always did "Freedom '90" at karaoke and it soaked the panties (of 50 year old women at Sardo's). George Michael was pretty much the three headed monster of the 1980s pop. Michael Jackson, Madonna and George Michael (I don't include Prince, because he sorta' skated rock).
Michael was my middle school years where girls didn't like me but I tried desperately to go to dances where I would run into the girl I had a crush on that week. They'd play his hits. And, of course, I'd sit in a corner listening to "Father Figure" while my buddies slowed danced. You felt sorta' rich listening to George Michael.

It was surprising to find out he was a homo. Since his videos had hot fucking models in them. I didn't find out later that David Fincher had directed a few of them. Makes sense. Sleek, modern, post-yuppie.

His music was epic. Listening to a duet with Elton John on "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me" has a tearjerking moment for me now. Knowing it's him at the end of his life. Oh...and the saddest Christmas when my girlfriend had dumped me, I played "Last Christmas" over and over again. Like a true homo.

What will we learn about the man who was caught fellating another dude in some bathroom in London somewhere? Who knows? I'm glad to revisit his music, because it's skip-happy.
Do the jitterbug.

1 comment: