Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Hollywood Has-Been Shows

Deep in the crux of Los Angeles International Airport is the Westin Hotel. A rather beautiful yet...somehow seedy place. It's ornate, but seems...well, like an extension of an airport.
That's where I attended The Hollywood Show.
Held twice a year, the stars from bygone era show up to greet the ironic t-shirt wearing fans.
My first impression was that it was a sad sack convention show.
When I showed up...I was giddy as a schoolgirl around David Cassidy (Shirley Jones was at this show).
Every bygone era actor or recent ones were behind their tables with memorabilia spilling out. Joanna Cassidy was there from "Blade Runner." Beautiful as ever. Valeria Harper. Barbara Eden. Tawny Kitaen, Sherilyn Fenn. Julie McCullough (yeah, I'm naming the women I jerked off to as a pre-teen).

In flesh and blood. But...BUT two stood out more than anyone else. EVER.

Loni Anderson.
I'm not entirely sure what deal she made with the devil, but she was beautiful as ever. Probably more so. She was dolled up like...a Barbie and had...what I can only describe as a perfect body. It's unbelievable. And she was Jennifer Flowers from "WKRP in Cincinnati" again. My first reaction was to spew out how much that show meant to me in terms of growing up in Cincinnati. All I could do was stare. She smiled and went back the others. It was enough. I sauntered away to see the other person who made an impression on me..

Nancy Allen.
I desperately wanted to ask her about Brian DePalma. Or more so, "Dressed To Kill." I stand in line awkwardly all the time. Drawing a blank. My brain overheats to what I could possibly ask that doesn't sound retarded. I thought of nothing. She has platinum white hair now, but her sparkling grey eyes (which are identical to my ex-girlfriend's) seem to say she still is officer Lewis from "Robocop."

What I went to, I was expecting lame wads who were desperate for fan approval. I walked out swimming with energy. A rejuvenated feel for how close stardom and the public can get. I got no autographs and took no photos. I just wanted to soak it all in.
Incidentally, Jerry Mathers...the Beave and Tony Dow were there. They go a lot. And there was Lou Diamond Phillips and Esai Morales...and...Lisa Marie, and...

Yes, I am still a Hollywood nerd...

No comments:

Post a Comment