Monday, October 30, 2017

Production Week

The week before any substantial film shoot where I'm directing has a weird energy in my world. I get a bit nauseous about all the details in hopes that I don't forget something stupid that could derail the shoot. There are so many parts and little things to stress over. But every shoot I've done so far has been...actually pretty awesome. Most recent ones I've walked away super happy.

I think a LOT of filmmakers have this. Though some who are innocently naive tend to "go with the flow" I'm not naming names...BENNIE!...but I envy their simple ways. The more shit you need to juggle, the more antsy you get when it gets to shoot.

I know you can prepare just so much and ask just so much from people. Especially in no-budget world. I only want to make bitchin' content. Something where people anticipate the next one. Which judging by some people, we've been doing good. My friend Grace, who wrote the next entries has been VERY blunt when it comes to my directing ("tighten that shit up") which I laugh. It's true. I rely heavily on the actors to bring their game. Though...I don't direct and would never do so. Directing, to me, is getting out of the way of something I didn't see before. Their interpretation means SO much more than me nitpicking. I know my hero and guru Billy Wilder would NEVER in a million years have an actor change a single word. They were going to be on set until every word, comma and period was on film. To me, that's an old fashion notion. But I like the respect there is to the writer (usually himself...hahaha).
The point of me as a director is to guide the feeling of the movie. I know I stand and rub what little stubble on my face there is. In that moment, I'm actually replaying the sound in my head. Or what I just saw and see if the transition will work. Every small vignette so far started with a VERY strong image in my head. I could break down the nuance, but it's this obsessive image that I can't remove. I am always curious if my heroes think the same way. I've found out recently Martin Scorsese spent 15 hours on a bar scene in "Cape Fear." Because he had to have it...perfect.
I don't have his will to bend steel or specific vision he steadfastly adheres to. To me, moving parts are liquid. And quite frankly, water is more malleable than people realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment