Friday, October 27, 2017

So?

I grew up with bitches. As my Dad could verify.
We both huddled in dark movie theaters to get away from sisters and mom. Or the basement. Where we wouldn't have to hear the shrill voices of women. Angry and defiant, for no reason other than boredom.

I recall going to visit the folks one fall day. Attempting to goad my Mom, who was working as a salad prep at Frisch's Big Boy (to stave off boredom), I pointed out that I read in Yelp the terrible reviews of her specific restaurant.
To which her response was "So?"
She doesn't know technology. Nor cares to, if it speeds up her streaming for Chinese soap operas, all the better. She also didn't get very defensive. That one word "So?" shuts down everything.
The defensive person (such as myself) would say something like "well, what did they say about the salad?!" Or follow up with just general human curiosity and try to fix it. Instead...she went with "So?"
You could say the extension of that would be "so what?" As if she could fix it right then and there. OR, that she had pride in a conglomerate restaurant that served White folk food.

I envy people like her and my middle sister. They both probably care a lot about what people think about them, but choose the shortest route to end the confrontation. I sometimes go headlong. Case in point, a technical glitch at our company in which a simple machine calibration would've solved outside engineers coming in to figure out the dumbest of mistakes I made. Ever since coming to this company, I've shut off my brain and completely forgot that I had to do these calibrations. Why? Because they automated the system so that dummies wouldn't fuck it up. Well, perhaps the oversight was so slight it messed with EVERYONE. Including the idiotic supposed head engineer here. No one chimed in. Even the tech who came out fussed with it forever. Instead, it laid on my shoulders as did the blame. Imagine for a minute, in the moment of blame game, if I just subtly threw it out there.
"So?"
And thus would shut down the shame and embarrassment everyone else felt and needed to drop on me as the fall guy. I laugh now thinking how simple that really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment