Sunday, October 22, 2017

Film People

It boggles my mind...
...when I have conversations with filmmakers who know so very little about the history. Or care.
Maybe this is privilege of the ignorant. Or that the details of film business is inconsequential, but I think it does help, a little, to dodge the landmines of the industry. OR maybe, on the flipside knowing too much raises a lot more road signs that may not be there. I think this is a difficult thing to navigate.

I talked to a fellow filmmaker recently about that. How much should you really know about Hollywood history. To me...I absolutely love it. It's why I listen to Gilbert Gottfried and Illeana Douglas's podcast. They have stories from the trenches. Though, these stories are often heartbreaking and gossipy...they do give you insight in what type of people you deal with. My friend is somewhat willfully ignorant when it comes to any of the older history. The guy hasn't even seen "Lethal Weapon." So it sort of makes sense that there is no interest in the rest of history. Knowledge is power. But it also can put up roadblocks. As I've continue to rally behind, sometimes going to college makes you incredibly ignorant (most of the time actually).

I would hope that people who get into this business have interest in the people before us. The Hollywood lore has these stories that are immensely fascinating. Not just the personalities but the way things were done. Their stage craft. The evolution of filmed entertainment. Which is why I love reading the drama behind the making of these movies. ALL movies have drama. None get away with a carefree shoot. This makes our world a bit smaller.

But I understand, willful ignorance does prevent some from losing the magic of cinema. A rapist who produced movies...this person can still appreciate the movies and leave the drama. I'm not sure if you could consider that person a sociopath but denying the reality to suit the fantasy maybe raises far deeper topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment