Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Was "Rain Man" Really Best Picture Of 1988?


"Working Girl"
"Dangerous Liasons"
"Mississippi Burning"
"The Accidental Tourist"
Geena Fuckin Davis won for "The Accidental Tourist" this year. Blagh. That movie is stupid.
I watched "Rain Man" repeatedly when it hit videotape because the journey begins in Cincinnati. In fact, Charlie Babbit’s home address is a house I pass whenever I drove to high school. I remember this movie vividly, but odd…I can no longer feel the feeling I felt when first saw it. It’s a coming of age movie, sort of speak. As Charlie (played brilliantly by Tom Cruise, who was unfairly snubbed for his performance in this flick) is learning to be a human.
Though I love this movie. Was it really a Best Picture? Hard to say. I think so, for the simple fact of the longevity of its message. The unfortunate thing is, Dusty Hoffman’s retard routine. I am certain he probably wouldn’t be able to watch this movie again. In perspective to 1988 to our time, roughly 30 years prior, Best Picture winner was Billy Wilder’s “The Apartment.” Which, I think was the last comedy to win that award. Though listed somewhat a comedy, it is a dark movie.
What I’m getting at is, the politics of today’s Oscar for Best Picture has been skewed to box office. I would say, that if really the movies were based on merit alone there wouldn’t be any of the nominated for Best Picture this year. “Mad Max: Fury Road” for Best Picture? You’ve got to be kidding. My feeling has been/always will be Best Picture should reflect a long reaching universal story (which although glad “Silence of The Lambs” won that year, I find it pretty silly now).
It is quite strange to me, that the winners this year appeared more to be the will of trend, rather than true common sense storytelling. The message to a Best Picture should be having the core story exist through time. “Birdman” has already worn out its welcome. “Shakespeare In Love” has been a long running joke. Do you even remember “American Beauty” won? To put today’s, or even the last decade of movies compared to “Terms of Endearment” “The Godfather”(s), or “Gone With The Wind” makes me hate this society even more.
In this realm, “Rain Man” is fucking “Lawrence of Arabia” with a retard.

No comments:

Post a Comment