Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Sadness Of Youthfulness

I feel old. I've felt old since I was 18.
"Whoa" she said after walking through our front doors of the office I work at. She was a representative of a corporate entity here to talk about a project I wanted to collaborate on "you just seem so young." One of my co-workers after reading an email exchange seemed to think she thought I was in charge of something. Could be my Lucky t-shirt & shants.
"I'm 41" I offered.
She smiled politely. I think I could see that she felt she may be wasting her time.

Well, I spoke the best I could about the event I wanted to help with. Emphatic about my commitment and we walked away, I think...confident, despite how young I appear.

I have no idea how to shake this stigma. And it's not a backhanded humble brag. It's irritating. Maybe it's the same shit women with big tits feel. Never taken seriously. I don't take them seriously, so I probably shouldn't be throwing stones. But it's amazing perception is reality. In business, maybe.

The other side of it is...I realize we probably treat people the way they seem to us. A precious kid we speak precious too. They end up being stunted, since they think the world will always come to them (i.e. my nephew). In this instance, in their minds, they will always be catered to. See: Hollywood star.
 We develop a lot of entitled jerks this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment