Thursday, March 10, 2016

Rita Hayworth's Worth


Rita Hayworth (October 17, 1918-May 14, 1987)
The story of Rita Hayworth is probably more common in movie stardom than the stories of stars who made it out of Hollywood in one piece (this is facetious, no one leaves without scars). Consider that she was a sex symbol, made one memorable movie (“Gilda”) and referenced in another (“Shawshank Redemption”) then died of Alzheimer’s in her Beverly Hills home at 68 years old.
Throughout her life, she married 4 times, all a bust, since they wanted Rita Hayworth in movies not Marguerite Casano, her real name. I wouldn’t necessarily put Hollywood completely at fault for her decline, but it’s not beyond logic that this town isn’t safe haven for crazies. Or maybe…it draws crazies like a moth to light.
Though her name is famous, it’s odd that I’ve not seen a movie of hers. I think I tried watching “Gilda” one time, but got bored. Oh wait, I think I remember seeing a movie called “Separate Tables” back in college. The director Delbert Mann spoke about Rita Hayworth. How she was having mental issues in the middle of the night. How she wanted him to come over to watch after her. And how Mann’s wife emphatically forbade him to go over to Rita Hayworth’s home…in the middle of the night. Ha!
These stories do make me sad though. Tragic in that many women today would trade all they have for that fame, some are attempting it now. But most don’t realize the constant pain endured by people who live by image. I find I’m slouching more, my hair thinning out, gut protruding a bit, bad teeth, tired eyes…to be reminded of my younger self would send me into a tailspin. I think most would chalk it up to “the price of fame.” For me, I pity those who are convinced this would make them happy.
You see this a lot in professional sports as well. Many NFL players go back to their alma maters, because there they are returning heroes. In the pros, they’re paid dancing bears. College was a time when they played with grit and hope. Playing for a paycheck means only that it pays bills. When in college, you’re catered to. In pros, you are paid (for the stars) massive amounts to perform. The pressure garners no sympathy from the fans. I don’t think the same for Rita Hayworth either. You could say, she could’ve quit and done anything else in life. But I would argue, the longer you are in the Hollywood system, the less you are capable of anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment