Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The Ever Painful Student Loans

Graduate school isn't cheap. I imagine most of us filmmakers thought the same thing when we graduated. "Wait till they get a load of my talent. Money will be raining on me." I guess for the very few that are determined...yippee! For the rest of us aimless lots straight out of school, we were fucked from the word "go." Unless you have parents willing to support it (and could). Even rich kids fizzle out. The new world today probably is easier now. Trade in a six-figure education to make a feature you can turn and sell to streaming site. People are looking for material.

My very ingenious friend Bennie did that. He turned around a small budgeted films and sold them at conventions and made a tidy profit. To make his next project. I really like this system because...it means you aren't a slave to the "studios." When the big three (alright I'll throw in MGM), brought up gates, they became a country club, exclusive to only..the insiders. There are exceptions, which sort of flew under the radar. But few and far between. It's still this club, despite the fact that most of us can do without them.

Anyway, the dreams of making dough to pay off the loans were sidetracked by life. When you leave graduate program, you don't start at educated rate for anything you do. I feel more sorry for resident physicians. They doubled the education, which means double the debt. Fuck, I'd give anyone who finishes med school FREE everything. We have to encourage more doctors. Because we'd be fucked without them (not the doctors I've had so far, but...you get the idea). Maybe I should crusade to find free money to any and all doctors (dentists included). I think this would lower the medical bills. Which I suspect is one of the biggest reasons people go into bankruptcy. Medical bills are painful to people who aren't insured. I feel like we've put the cart before the horse. Lower doctor's student loans, they won't charge as much (in private practice). Instead of requiring citizens to get insurance.

But, I've now got a wad I have to give to the loan peeps. Sucks, since now I have to write off this amount every month with nothing to show for it. But my patriotic duty to line the pockets of the bankers who got bailed out of the housing market. See how great that works?

No comments:

Post a Comment