Tuesday, March 15, 2016

"Radio Days" (1987)

I don't like Woody Allen movies, because they feel like plays.
In this movie, we're taken back to the good ol' days of radio. Which I don't remember. Well sort of. I was at the tail end of black and white television. So, I guess I could compare it to that.

The point of this movie is that radio played a huge role in major events of Woody's life as a kid (in this movie played by Seth Green). It marked the times when he first kissed a girl, or his parents fights, or hearing about the war, or the death of a kid in a well. It was what families circled around after their days of tough living. And then we get an insight on who these people actually were. Unhappy, oddball gangsters or celebrities who could walk around among the public. Most have the face for radio, while others used the medium to tell stories. Our imagination being the biggest asset.

It's hard to gauge this movie now, since they're somewhat disjointed stories that overlap when need be. I do enjoy the nostalgia aspect. When performers really needed a skill set to function. And somehow I found myself missing the simpler days of just peeping in on buxom teachers I've had...to the tune of anything 1980's.

This is a nice love poem to the medium of radio. I doubt anyone will make one on the memories of their iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment