Thursday, March 3, 2016

"Ghostbusters" Outrage

The first time I saw this movie, it was on VHS. Even at a buck and change, movies were a lot for my folks to deal with.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I watched it so much, I broke the tape. Then had to get another.

Well, we got choices now. And they've remade it. I think...

I'm not angry they remade it. That angry. The public seemed to go nuclear over it.
When I tried watching the original again, I forgot why I liked it. The FX are pretty bad. The comedy...non-existent. Bill Murray is cool, I guess. He seems better in movies where he's lethargic and serious (his version of serious anyway). The rest of the "jokes" were better suited in the 1980's.

But now there's massive outrage. I think, for me anyway, confusion. What is this movie? Is it a sequel? Is it a reboot? They mention in the trailer that 30 years ago Ghostbusters saved the city.
 I'm not sure people REALLY remember the original as well as they think they do. It was just new. This isn't new. Just women in men's clothing. Kristin Wiig is not funny. Nor are the other three who seemed to be assuming the role of a movie they saw in the past. The fact that Paul Feig is using this as an exercise to...? is beyond me. The movie should stand on its own merits, unfortunately, it seems the fact that this production has the balls to tackle a iconic movie like "Ghostbusters" may say more about our society (in regards to how it does at the box office) than what Hollywood is meant to produce. Keep in mind, I HATED "Deadpool."

No comments:

Post a Comment