Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Chris Long Philly Eagles Philanthropist


Howie Long's kid who plays defensive end is donating 6 game paychecks equaling about $1 million bucks for scholarship to a Charlottesville scholarship, because racism sucks:
 

"In August, we watched people fill our hometown streets with hatred and bigotry," Long said in a statement. "Megan and I decided to try to combat those actions with our own positive investment in our community."
The scholarships will be administered by Long's alma mater, St. Anne's-Belfield School. Two members of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Virginia will be awarded the scholarships.
Following an ugly scene in Charlottesville in August, when a series of white supremacist rallies led to violence in the streets, Long spoke out and called the actions of some of the protestors "despicable."
"I haven't seen statistics, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people voicing those white supremacist sentiments were from out of town," Long said at the time. "The majority of the people that were defending our hometown against ideals like that were from Charlottesville, or students. It's disheartening, but I really think it's desperation for those folks to feel threatened by us doing the right thing."

This is really generous considering NFL players don't play long (get it). I'd like to think this is done with a great deal of heart. And it most likely is. But his statement is really weird, because you're trying to combat racism with...education money so that someone can be grateful a White dude isn't a piece of shit? That is pretty patronizing, if you really consider it.

I think Howie Long is great, and he raised a really cool kid, but I understand now why when I was a kid my Mom laughed when I went to volunteer for the homeless. Because it's really condescending to go down to a soup kitchen as a kid and think I'm helping an adult.   

No comments:

Post a Comment