Friday, April 24, 2015

We All Drop Like Flies

Two guys I use to work with passed away within a month of each other. Both in their 60's. I'm not sure how to absorb it, other to think that we should be living a better life.

An interesting thing about these two. Neither were married, nor had kids. When I first met them, they couldn't have been more opposite of one another. Bruce was an OCD Rain Man type guy. Drove me nuts. But was a friendly guy. Steve was the supervisor, who thought he supervised everyone. I'd give them both a lot of shit, because I didn't answer to them. At some points, I'd even spat out things at them that, in any other business should've been abusive. I didn't care. When push came to shove, I'd rather shove.

Terrible eulogy, I know. But, I'm not sure why this business is claiming lives so...relatively young. There was a third guy who left this company due to health concerns. It wasn't but yesterday that I'd mentioned he was next to go. Because of his high salt and starch intake. He was a walking zombie. I'd see him in the morning. He'd be passed out on heart medication from morning until lunch. Then he'd eat a high fat and sodium meal. Then go take another nap. Fuck...I know that feeling. I'm trying to cut back on saturated fat and salt. I know I'll be hearing of him going too.

It's just so weird to have people you've known die. Up until this year, the only real funeral I'd been to was my grandmother's. She lived a long time though. But I guess it really does put into question your own mortality. My other co-worker who is the same age as Bruce told me this information today. I could see in his eyes how shaken the news was. I will add this, Bruce's position at the company had recently been eliminated. I think he realized it was the end. I don't care who you are, but when you reach what you consider the "end" of your life, I would hope that you would be doing something you love. Or at the very least, something you wanted to do but were afraid to. Consider if I passed away in a Porsche Spyder on a road in middle California. Wind at the hair. No stress. Also makes you really reconsider all the petty shit you thought was important in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment