Monday, April 13, 2015

Money Is Good...

...but doing what you want in life is better. Does it require money? Sometimes. Most of the time it doesn't. I think it frees you up into doing what you want, but most of us with no money find ways to cope. Not like there's a choice.

I was thinking about if someone handed me $5 million and said, "go make a feature film." What would I think? What would I do? I don't think I'd make a good movie. I think if the effort to make something worthwhile didn't exist with a budget, why should it now that it's in my hands. In fact, I think I'd never finish the movie. I dunno, I think people have it in their mind that getting something for nothing is a good thing. Or lucky thing. I thought about that too. What if I won the lottery? I could give away SO much money. You would think people would erect pillars to your altruism. Nope, the overwhelming attitude would probably be "well, it's not like he earned it." I would think a lot of people would grow bitter by it. Because fortune isn't internal. You get NOTHING from having something just willed to you. Or dropping from the sky. Someone who could build furniture mostly likely took the most pleasure in the craft leading up the finish product. The fine detailed work it took. What if he'd bought that chair at IKEA? It might be a story if he lived in South Central L.A. But nothing is as enriching as something earned. Money or people. You have to earn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment