Thursday, April 23, 2015

I Heart L.A.

When I was in grad school, my film school friends (4 of us) and I went out near the beach. There was a Chinese restaurant we'd frequent there. For some reason (I think it was a makeshift dolly for a film shoot) we had a wheelchair. So we tossed it into the back of my friend's pickup truck and drove to the restaurant. After the meal, we remembered there was a wheelchair in the flatbed. So we thought it would be funny to have my friend sit in it. We were on a main road on the west side of town. A street called Washington Boulevard.

Midway through wheeling him around, we thought it'd be FUNNIER if we all started to pretend to beat him. Just four guys beating a guy in a wheelchair. We sold this fucker. I think I got in a few kicks. Meanwhile, he was doing his best acting job by thrashing around, but making sure his legs didn't move. This was a busy street, by the way.

And to my surprise...no one stopped to help. No one honked. No one called authorities. In fact, I was almost sure I saw L.A.P.D. driving past and turn a corner, convinced we were busted for this prank. Nope. Nothing.

I love L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment