Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Letter To A Film Student

Recently someone had asked me to talk to this young kid. Since I was an alumni and he was attending my alma mater. The short answer would've been "fuck if I know." But I wrote this instead:


Hi,
Really cool that you chose XXX University. Solid school. Make the most of it.
I’ve actually known Ed since our days at XXX State. We use to spend days locked up editing film on a flatbed until one of us passed out.
I’m not sure if this will be all that helpful but, the truth of the coloring business is that it’s congested. Too many colorist, not enough jobs. Their solution was to make colorist also do three other jobs when they go into the field. The guys who are willing to do the work of four people for nothing gets the gig. You get burned out really fast. And grow resentful. Not to freak you out, but I’ve never known anyone who didn’t eventually hate XXX Company. In fact, recently an intern there was reduced to tears…of all things, being too enthusiastic. People under the main guys tend to be insecure. So they take it out on whoever is beneath them. It’s stupid, since you think a go-getter gets further.  They don’t. Unless they have a marketable skill. Or learn fast. It’s so petty.
The best bet is to go into transcoding or data management. You will always have a job. Every company needs it. Assists and colorist are always shuffling around. Be good at it, but don’t be great. Or you’ll be stuck.
Unfortunately, data is the least creative. Do that on the side. I use to use XXX Company to scan my projects (I still do at XXY). And find people who will work on your projects you do on weekends. But be very careful who you ask to help. Or who you talk to about it. Most are really helpful, others will use it to discourage your path. Or be resentful, since most people in post have failed in creative endeavors.
Stick very close to your classmates. Shoot all their projects. And keep in touch with them. Our alumni system for movie biz sucks. I think it’s b/c there were so few of us, most have quit to do other things. But the people you graduate with are your best allies. When they break, you break. I was able to shoot 2 features b/c another film student friend recommended me.
Don’t get bullied but work hard. Mistreatment is rampant in this business. If they see you work hard, they respect it and back off. But also stand up for yourself. Bullies back away if you don’t’ take shit from them.
Actually, this comes from advice I got from a top tier cinematographer: ”stop being a jackass. It’s a creative business, but people have to trust you." I would say that to be the most succinct about why people make it and others don't.
 I wish you luck. It's a VERY long trip so don't think you can have everything overnight. If you do, spend the rest of your time outworking everyone else staying there. Be resilient. Be a person people like spending 16 hour days with. Be tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment