Friday, April 3, 2015

Beggars Can't Be Choosers

Who's the idiot who thought of that phrase?

Probably someone who's never eaten at a Church's Fried Chicken joint near Los Angeles Airport.
I offered the other half of my chicken bucket and a homeless dude told me to go fuck myself. So, I guess they can choose. Choose to tell me to go fuck myself.

I get it. Fried chicken isn't exactly food. But, I doubt he would've changed his tune had it been a Cobb salad (invented in Los Angeles, by the way). To be accurate he did tell me he was hungry. NOT that he needed money. That would've been different I think. But I would never turn away someone who just wanted food. Sometimes I buy food I forget I buy and have to throw away. Sometimes people leave food at my place, and I forget about it and I throw THAT away. I HATE throwing out food. Even when I worked in fast food. At the end of the night, we'd toss so much food away. I wanted to donate to every shelter in Cincinnati. Until my boss said "well, YOU drive it around then." That idea went south fast.

I don't think anything can be as destructive of this phrase as when we're choosing a mate. My sister says this sometimes when I go for low-hanging fruit on the woman tree "beggars can't be choosers." Meaning, blind, broken or retarded, if I want a woman, mostly to do my bidding...forget being choosey. She does have a point there.

No comments:

Post a Comment