Monday, April 13, 2015

Some Fiction part 2

...the first bell rang. Rich White people don't respond to bells.

Emily stood, clutching her books, in the foyer being stared at as students brushed by. Sounds of murmurs around her. It wasn't that she was in fear, it's just that she didn't know where to go.
"Yo! What's your problem?"

Emily swung around and was face to face with a girl her age. Emily stood with her mouth open, shocked anyone spoke to her rather than AT her. She was pretty. Broad shouldered, but soft kind eyes despite her urban greeting. She seemed to be prep school attired, but clearly her purse was not. First thing Emily would notice.

"I'm just saying, you statue up there long enough, people might shit on you, get my drift?"
Emily pressing for words, finds none.
"I'm Shauna" she reaches out her hand.
Emily pries a hand away from her books and shakes.
"Look, what class you going to?"
A gear finally pops in. Emily coughs up "I'm not sure."
"It's going to be a long day for you. Tell you what, go to the office there..." She points to door with a painted glass which "Administrator."
Emily turns back "Emi..."
Shauna had disappeared into a sea of students "...ly." Emily stood there watching them duck into classrooms. One darting for the exit. There she stood alone. She turns on her heels and entered the administrator's office.

Ms. Alecia Mangrum was a hefty Black lady. Her thick bifocals made her dour expression extremely pronounce. Everything looked big on her. And she was no nonsense. You had to be if you were going to be the principal of this school.

Emily entered the office.

Ms. Mangrum draws a deep red line of lipstick to her chapped lips and focused completely on a mirror jammed in her desk drawer. "Good morning, Lady Diana."

Emily tightens her grip on her books. It's weak and barely audible "Excuse me?" Ms. Mangrum looks up, her magnified eyes search every direction, finally settling on the girl in front of her.

"I said...Good morning, Lady Di. Seems to me, most of us here make appointments, not you though, nuh-uh. So I guess that would make you a princess"

"I'm sorry, but the door was open."

Ms. Mangrum peeks around Emily "You didn't see no squirrely bean pole by the name of Monolo out there."

Emily shakes her head.

"Well, isn't that something? Girl got her first day, and he goes missing."
Emily purses her lips, uneasy about her next response.

"Well, now thatcha' broke down the security, mind telling me why we're talking?"
"I don't know my schedule. Y'see--"
"--Yah, I know who you are. The Amberley transfer. You don't get this far by letting anyone into their school. You need to see Jamal in counseling. He'll getcha' started."

"I really appreciate this Ma'am."

Ms. Mangrum smiles to herself. "Ma'am. First time I been refer to as ma'am. I kinda' like it. Look, Miss Morgan, there 'aint no free rides here. We got kids who've done more time in prison than in our spring play. They trouble makers looking for trouble. You think you can stay clear of that, you gonna be right as rain."

"Thank you Ma'am."
"Oh, call me Ms. Mangrum."

No comments:

Post a Comment