Sunday, April 19, 2015

That Artist Look

"Are you an actor?"
Fuck no.
I was asked this last night. It got me thinking. I don't have an "artist look." Yes, I'm a slob, but I just don't have sleeves of tattoo and the hippest clothes. I think a lot of people don't trust their judgment because of that. It means that I can accept a guy who is punk'd out being able to make cool hipster films. But I look...very square. I don't even care. I use old technology and I like...well, craft.

My friend Alex very much has that look. If I saw him, I'd think he directed a cerebral sci-fi movie. Or a drama. I dunno. I just don't think I give off that vibe. I mean, I saw myself in photos behind camera, and I look kinda' dumb. Like "aw...his Dad let him sit in the dolly chair to take this photo."

There was a friend years ago that was a water polo jock. About 6'5" big as an ox. Sounded dumb when he talked. That fucker could paint amazing portraits. I told him one time why he didn't pursue it. He just shrugged. Just something to do for him. I think it's kinda' unfair for people to NOT look like an artist, and not ever get that recognition and get marginalized because they don't look out of place.

The guy who trained me in my job now looked like Tim Burton's retarded half-tard brother. He wanted to be a cinematographer too. Guy bought tons of expensive film equipment, shot three things with it. Never projects that were ever close to what I did. He was labeled an avant garde filmmaker. Fucker.

I don't ever want to look the part. I just don't have that type of energy. It would better be used to...you know...actually make something. It just struck me that people do have in their mind what a creative type is suppose to look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment