Friday, March 24, 2017

My Conversation With Peter Marshall

You may not know the face but you certainly know the voice. My Grandma just knew him as the host of "Hollywood Squares."

The house was 3 miles from where I lived. I was thinking I was going to ride my bike there. In between some of the worst property in Van Nuys, sat a quaint street. I mean...it looked like a backlot...which amazed me... a little. Most of the Valley had these pockets of...normalcy. In between these fucking ranchero blasting shit-boxes. This street reminded me of what my street may have looked like back then. Back when old timey (young then) actors/actresses wanted a place away from Hollyweird. This was the house of Rose Marie. A child singer, turned actress, turned singer, turned voice actress. Over 80 years of experience. I was in absolute awe of her at 94 years of age. Mr. Peter Marshall was her contemporary at 91. He turns 92 on March 30th. And he was on his feet and in the kitchen when I came across him. He was singing quietly to himself. A soothing tune most likely to hide a bit of anxiety. I was there for a screening of my friend Jason's documentary. We're both Ohio guys and love old timey shit. I had a few slices of garlic bread when I sidled up to him, hoping to get more stories (preferably about Paul Lynde).

I knew him from Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast. I didn't know him. I knew him, but heard more in depth stuff on it. I had to speak loud. He'd lost his hearing.
"Mr. Marshall, I just heard you on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast"
He smiled "oh yes. I don't think he knows what I do!"
I laughed my ass off. Gilbert didn't. Peter Marshall is old timey, the way Gilbert likes them. He also had so many stories I wanted to ask about. But that would be a lot of screaming. So, I elected to just ask him about what his secret was to living as long as he had.
"I really had no idea I would be here this long."
I think he meant it as a joke.
"Rose and I are...we grew up together. We were just kids." He spoke about her with such reverence. They are the only two left that can truly say the saw Hollywood grow up.
I stared at him...I can't completely fathom the life he's seen.
"You've seen it all" I said. He laughed as if I didn't know the half of it.
"Yes. Most of the people I know are gone now."
I got a bit sad. I was only 42 and tired. He had 50 years on me and spoke with much more positivity. He was still sharp. And he seemed to just be amused at any opportunity to be seen.
This man had spoke and been with legends.
We chit chatted about people he knew. Radio guys mostly who I knew nothing about. I wanted to pick his brain about Hollywood, but he seemed to want to share radio stories. I didn't know any of them. And he knew I wouldn't know. But enjoyed reminiscing about the ones who he worked with. Amused at entertainment. He loved every minute of the work. Something very very absent in most performers. It was long party for him.
So I asked the dumbest question I could...
"What's the secret...of living this long?"
That was the first time he turned to me. It was a little intimidating. What could be the answer? Then with a twinkle in his eye he said...
"I have no idea." 
Then he sauntered off, singing quietly to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment