Thursday, March 30, 2017

Film Festival North Hollywood

I attended my friend's film screening at a festival yesterday.
It's weird to read reactions on YouTube. Another to see it actually come to life.
After the movies were shown, there was a Q&A section. My friend went up with the rest of the panel discussion. Most, if not all were actually directed towards my friend's project. It seems this mental illness issue is far more engaging than stories. Which...in short form, how can you think otherwise. There were a group of older gentlemen in the front row that were praising her movie. As an insider's look into mental breakdown. To me, I've seen it enough where the impact has diminished. But clearly people have latched on it.

Yes, some people will consider the short film derivative of a bigger issue. I always tell her that it isn't about these people who want to see a movie. It's about a warm blanket. It has nothing to do with storytelling. Only people who are living it aren't going to feel alone about feeling so rotten. And that, my friends, has massive value.

We, as filmmakers, are fighting so much to get our point across, we really forget the truth about it all. Which is communicating common ground. I fight constantly to find that truth. Others come with it so bare, it is crushing. Out of the movies last night that I saw, my friend's was the only one that attempted to tackle a void in society. The one where we all sort of look at and shun. Because most people consider it a stigma. I would. I find borderline personality disorder annoying, as my previous roommate suffered from it. But, this film has made me understand the insanity that goes on in their brain more. It's heartfelt, though...obvious. Who cares? I say. As long as it reached one person, it was worth the effort.

There is a discussion somewhere here. I'm amazed my friend started it.

No comments:

Post a Comment