Sunday, August 27, 2017

Tobe Hooper dies at 74

I consider him one of the most overlooked horror directors in the canon of horror guys. Though I confuse him with Joe Dante a lot. Not by looks, but because they seem to have come out at the same time doing similar looking movies.

Not mentioned as much as someone like Wes Craven though more mentioned than someone like Sean S. Cunningham. I would see him puttering around the Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks, California. An old dude who just threw his money at the proprietor and walked out hoping not to answer any questions. I doubt any of the other grey hairs in there knew either. Not that I consider myself a huge fan of Tobe Hooper, but he deserves a place in the Hall of Fame for "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" The movie which keeps getting remade and re-told as much as Spider-man. It's annoying. The story isn't that interesting. Though...to Hooper's credit he turned this simple idea into a never-ending franchise. To me...that is genius. That's up there with George Lucas's "Star Wars" being sold to the same idiots over and over again. Also, let's face it, the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" would be rated PG today.

God rest your soul now Mr. Hopper. Well done. A fascinating guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment