Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Gym Talk About Racism

I know a few of you probably think I'm very bigoted. Which is funny. And fine. Most of us Asians are full blown racist. But adaptable.
I had the most interesting conversation that created a new perspective about Blacks in America.
Systemically, we will never see Blacks as anything less than inferior. As a nation what has happened is that after slavery, nothing was ever put into place to encourage education or the fruits of freedom. What we did was offer 40 acres and a mule. That's like when you win a car on "The Price is Right" and you can't pay the taxes. And this still goes on. I think what bugs me is that this state of California throws money at the problem instead of pinpointing the real problem. As it goes both ways.

Money doesn't solve the crime problem. In fact, it may encourage it. Consider a welfare check that sustains a life for a month. Imagine if you cut that person off. What would that person do? Find ways to get back to that way of living. That is welfare and it is encouraged to fleece the system. The issue comes from turning perspective as well. The Black community needs to push education and family to a point where it's embarrassing to us that we fell behind (Asians did it, surpassed Whites so far in education, they had to create something to keep us out of colleges). The issue can also be solved with the Black community incorporating the pride in education. That it isn't a "White privilege." That reading and writing is to be commended. Too many Black inner city folk get real upset when one person wants to make something of themselves. They shame them from it because they still had instilled in them...the notion that there are "house niggers" or "field niggers." There aren't any. You are Americans. The pride to be American. A lot join the military for this reason.

The guy I spoke to was a White guy from Texas who basically said that the racist divide is because America has never properly recompensed the Black community for slavery. In my mind, I considered the handouts/welfare were the payback. Nope, it's debilitating. The reality is, what we really screwed up on was that it never provided the hope of assimilation. Not like my family who came here on their own.

It changed my perspective a lot. On how I view my Black friends. My friend Mark is a super thriving Black guy. I am ashamed to say, as successful as he's been...way past me. I've always categorized him "less than" subconsciously. He's provided so much (though made similar mistakes I have). He is a driven intelligent generous human being. To which now, with this conversation, added a new element to how the world sees Blacks. It isn't an excuse, but it sure makes you consider that the angry Black man standing next to you has faced generations of suspicion before he's reached your orbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment